In today’s world, many people are searching for higher meaning in their lives and this is transforming the workplace and the marketplace.
As a result, customer purchase decisions are often influenced by value-based motivations. Organisations that hold similar ethical beliefs and practices are attracting an engaged and loyal target market.
It has long been recognised that Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is not solely focussed on an innate desire to make the world a better place, but it can be a source of long-term competitive advantage for your brand.
As a proud South Australian industry super fund, Statewide Super is committed to making a real difference in the world, to our communities, to our environment, to our employees and most importantly, to our members.
We live our values and support SA in a number of ways. We hope that our actions below can inspire your organisation to also make a difference and strive to create a better world for your customers and your community. We do it by:
- Offsetting 100% of our carbon emissions to Trees for Life and being a Founding Partner of Carbon Neutral Adelaide, an initiative determined to make Adelaide the world’s first carbon neutral city. The Carbon Neutral Adelaide Partner Program celebrates and empowers business and community organisations to rapidly reduce carbon emissions, provide leadership and encourage others to take action
- Embarking on a Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) – a cultural inclusivity strategy to ensure all Australians, especially those from Indigenous backgrounds, have equal access to and engagement with superannuation. Our inaugural RAP is a demonstration of our public commitment to close the super gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians, and consists of a range of partnerships, internal and external initiatives, sponsorships and projects to invoke positive change within our sector and our communities
- Financially empowering our customers by offering a range of fun, simple and helpful financial tools, resources and experiences (including complementary seminars) available to everyone – not just our members. Making good financial decisions can transform an individual’s future, and we want all Australians to enjoy the retirement they deserve
- Displaying sustainability leadership as a signatory of the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), the Investor Group on Climate Change (IGCC) and the Australian Council of Superannuation Investors (ACSI). These groups aim to drive positive change by encouraging investors to consider environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors in their investment decision-making. The fund is also a signatory to the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI). The PRI is truly independent and does not operate for its own profit. It encourages investors to invest responsibly and in accordance with ESG considerations. It engages with global policymakers but is not associated with any government, and is supported by the United Nations.
- Fostering and growing local sporting talent, providing individuals in our community with the opportunities to play the sport they love at an elite level. We proudly sponsor the SANFL Women’s League, Adelaide Crows and Adelaide Strikers women’s teams as well as providing support to local women’s sporting clubs and associations.
This is just a snapshot of the CSR work that we are doing in our community. The activities that your organisation may implement in this space will be different and aligned to your corporate identity. However, if you’re not sure where to start, here are a few tips that may kick start your CSR activity:
- Engage your staff base to reduce your carbon emissions by implementing some simple sustainability strategies and initiatives. It can be as simple as only using recycled copy paper or sourcing vendors who hold the same environmental values and who hold sustainable credentials
- Empower your staff base to make a difference as sometimes it is the small things that count. This can include encouraging your employees to give blood or organising volunteering opportunities that are aligned to your organisation or industry
- Develop an internal Committee or taskforce dedicated to CSR activities. Responsible for setting the strategy as well as implementation, this group can report to your Executive Team and be your internal champions.
Statewide Superannuation Pty Ltd ABN 62 008 099 223 (AFSL 243171) is the Trustee and RSE Licensee of Statewide Superannuation Trust ABN 54 145 196 298. In deciding whether to acquire, or continue to hold, a Statewide Super product, please consider the applicable Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) available at statewide.com.au or by calling 1300 65 18 65. Issued in April 2018.